This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Day Ten - Marathon - Pages 40, 73, 178

I was busy all day making three dishes. The ramen broth took several hours of watching the pot boil and I'm not sure if the result was worth it. It had nice flavor but I think that I would have been just as happy with a simpler broth that had just a couple of flavor components instead of the chicken, bacon, pork, konbu, shiitake, and other veggies that the recipe called for. Or maybe make the whole concoction easier by putting all the ingredients in at once rather than in succession and removing each depending on your taste. It will be worth trying that the next time but for now we will have something to go with our New Year's ramen.

I used the plumped shitakes from the broth to make pickles and then made Spicy Pork Sausage with Rice Cakes.

This dish is a little of "throw everything you have in the wok" which isn't necessarily a bad thing but again, like the broth, there may be too many flavors in one place. In spite of the full cup of dried chilies the heat was pretty mild and I used my Kitchenaid food grinder attachment to grind a pork chop which was really fun.

The dok (rice cakes) made for a very hearty dish but what I find really satisfying is this:

Boiled dok drizzled with a little maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment