This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day Eleven - Page 59 - Roasted Rice Cakes

Another pretty sunrise - the spectacular kind that reminds us that it is still winter. There may be some turbulence on high but unfortunately it hasn't made it down here in any meaningful way so the drought continues.

Today I rushed home from work to whip up a dish of dok and dragon sauce. The denjang and kochujang (I combined them to make a ssamjang) were pretty salty and not as spicy as I wanted but a nice flavor boost for the dok. I know now that I will have to work on my dok frying technique to keep the cakes soft and chewy. These had a nice crunchy outside but they got kind of hard as they cooled. I'll have to experiment with frying times, different brands and whether they are frozen, vacuum packed, or fresh. I don't see myself pounding rice any time soon but I won't rule that out entirely if I can't get the right texture with manufactured dok.

No comments:

Post a Comment