This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Monday, December 28, 2009

Day Nine - Page 294 - My Sources

Just got back from L.A. where I got Xmas loot from Ava and Sun that will help me cook from Momofuku using the real ingredients. Starting at the lower left and moving counterclockwise: kochukaru (chile powder), denjang (fermented bean paste), kochujang (chile paste), then left: rice cakes, yuzu juice. And I went to A1 Market on Sunset where I picked up shiro (white miso), Vietnamese bottled shrimp (still looking for Korean salted shrimp in a jar), and fish sauce.

Last night I threw out the first attempt at kimchi and started over using my new bag of kochukaru and followed the Momofuku recipe closely using the right amount of salt and sugar. Already it looked so much better - that first batch was positively anemic.

Lesson learned: don't substitute essential ingredients because it just won't be delicious and if nothing else, deliciousness is the main component of Chang's recipes. I will never ever again use cayenne powder for kochukaru but I am thinking of using the savoy cabbage that is in the garden for my next kimchi...

While we were in L.A. we got to try a Korean barbeque restaurant: Soowon Galbi. In addition to four kinds of meat and all the small plates we had a bowl of stew (kimchichigae). I'm looking forward to making the Momofuku version soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment