This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Day Six - Mexico vacation

I was unable to post or cook the last two weeks because I was vacationing in Oaxaca. But I did eat as much as I could and discovered new ways of eating some favorite foods. There were some humongous pieces of chicharron at the big Sunday market in Tlacolula, a town about 40 minutes west of Oaxaca City.


A few days later we ate at Itanoni, a casual restaurant several blocks north of the centro in Oaxaca City, where maiz reigns supreme and tortillas are made to order using freshly ground native Oaxacan corn and cooked on a clay oven. It is the closest thing to what was eaten in the region centuries ago. Itanoni is trying to preserve the connection between the growers and eaters by eliminating the manufacturers and industrial producers of corn products. The food is natural, wholesome, subtle, and so delicious.

There are many fillings to choose from but when I saw a taco con CHICHARRON on the menu that was what I had to have - to start. It was the first time I've had them crunchy and here they were wrapped in the thinnest tortilla you can imagine and topped with a fresh pico de gallo. Biting into this was a revelatory moment.

I'll be cooking for Thanksgiving now but will continue with Momofuku in a few days. I will also let you know when I have my Oaxaca photos up on another blog or site.

No comments:

Post a Comment