This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Friday, November 6, 2009

Day Three - Ramen Redux & Page 160 - Roasted Brussels Sprouts w/ Fish Sauce Vinaigrette

Today I gave the ramen recipe a second try. The first noodles turned into a doughy mass when I stored them in the refrigerator. This time I also had a new tool that made the kneading a lot easier:


Thanks to Wayan I made the leap and got this little robot at Bed Bath & Beyond and I will be a happier mixer and kneader from now on. For this batch, instead of dividing the rolled noodles into piles, I am drying them a little before I package them for the refrigerator. I also rolled them one notch less on the roller so these are thicker than the first batch. A cross section would show a square about 1/8 inch wide.


I topped the noodles with some leftovers and they were devoured in a second. Somewhat chewy and really smooth. Much better mouth feel on these!


That was lunch. For dinner I roasted Brussels sprouts but left out the puffed rice and deep fried cilantro. The fish sauce vinaigrette is a giant blast of umami and this is another delicious way to eat the newly discovered vegetable that suddenly is so popular and seems to be on everyone's menu these days.



No comments:

Post a Comment