This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Day Four - Page 90 - Pan-Roasted Asparagus Poached Egg & Miso Butter

I think that this dish establishes Chang as a true original. The miso and butter mixture is such a basic, simple sauce but the nutty oily smoothness of it is masterful. This photo doesn't capture the slippery unctuousness of it as the yolk oozed out of it's soft casing and blanketed the asparagus in a pool of yellow but there wasn't enough time to fuss because John was eating it up too fast to photograph.

This has to be one of my favorite dishes in Momofuku and probably the simplest to make. I sauteed the asparagus in olive oil instead of butter and poached the egg in the traditional manner (in simmering water) but I'll try it with Chang's soft poached egg in the shell method another time. For now, eating asparagus out of season was something that just had to be done and I have no excuses for that transgression!

No comments:

Post a Comment