This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Monday, November 9, 2009

Day Five - Page 66 - Pickled Apples

The four-year-old Braeburn apple tree has come through again and is still loaded with sweet, crunchy, and juicy fruit. So,


I decided to throw in some Sichuan peppercorns because it's cold today and a little numbing wouldn't hurt. And anyway, I'll bet this is what they're eating in Chengdu at this time of year. The recipe says, "These will be ready to eat after an hour in the brine and should be eaten the day you prepare them." Definitely not a problem.

We had the pickles for dinner along with roasted spareribs (not a Momofuku recipe but marinated in my homemade catsup, soy, and leftover fish sauce vinaigrette from Day Three). Is there a more perfect combination than apples and pork? I highly doubt that.

No comments:

Post a Comment