This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Day 29 - Page 270 - Foie Gras Torchon - Day 1

The foie gras recipe should take about three days but for me it took four because I added a day of wandering the back roads of Sonoma admiring the green pastures, stunning rock outcroppings, and freshly sprouting vineyards as I made my way north to pick up the liver. There are only three producers of foie gras in the U.S: two are in New York and the third is in California. Lucky for me, Sonoma-Artisan Foie Gras has its office in the town of Sonoma and if you call ahead with your order, you can pick up a lobe or two the same day.

There are many people who think of tortured ducks when they think of foie gras and those people probably shouldn't read this post. I don't have much to add to the controversy other than that most of the arguments against it are irrelevant to the particular situation of Sonoma-Artisan Foie Gras, a small family business that has been making duck products for a long time in a humane way and under strict government regulations. The  livelihood of the owners and their employees are in jeopardy and in 2 years under SB 1520 they will be forced out of business in California because animal rights extremists decided to target this particular food item.

But for those of us who eat it and, like Betsy, would "Kill for foie gras" read on...
This is the "A" grade because I don't do this every day and nothing but the best for Mi Momofuku.

No comments:

Post a Comment