This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 23 - Page 75- Cucumber Kimchi & the Year-old Carrot

I planted carrot seeds in the garden about a year ago and we were eating lots of carrots all through the summer and fall. In the winter I could still go outside and pick a carrot when I needed one. This is the last of the carrots, an amazing one-year-old specimen. It's just as juicy, crunchy, and tender (though not quite as sweet) as the first carrots. I marvel at its longevity and ability to survive icy frosts and limited sun as it was in a very shady part of the yard. But since this was my first  experience with growing carrots and I'm unfamiliar with their growing habits maybe it's not so surprising that they can withstand cold, wet weather and sun-less days for three months and still become one of the essential ingredients in an early spring oi kimchi
 



No comments:

Post a Comment