This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day 27 - Crack Pie

Momofuku's Crack Pie recipe has appeared on the Web in a few places and the latest version, the one I used today, was recently published in the LA Times . Christina Tosi is the pastry chef at Momofuku and when asked in a 2008 interview about how she got into making desserts she said, "I’ve always had a sweet tooth. It’s actually a very nasty habit. I rarely eat regular food." Yikes!

My friend, Joyce, does a bake sale every year to raise money for Heifer International and this year she was going to get a Momofuku sweet from me.

All I can say about crack pie is that I finished making it before dinner and one taste killed my desire to eat anything else for the rest of the evening. Sort of like...you guessed it. The recipe makes 2 - 10 inch pies that are chock full of almost a pound of butter, over 2 cups of sugar, 8 egg yolks, and a cup of cream. Except for a teaspoon of vanilla, there isn't any other flavoring. The crust is a crumbled 9" x 13" oatmeal cookie mixed with butter and pressed into pie tins. A little goes a long way with this dessert and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my Crack Pie does the same towards helping a beneficiary of Heifer International.







No comments:

Post a Comment