This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 49 - Pages 18 7-188 - Pan-Roasted Dry-Aged Rib Eye

I sort of made this recipe. My version was not dry-aged nor a 2-1/2 lb steak but I got the basic idea and it was a true revelation. I now know that it's the butter basting that makes the steaks at Peter Luger and Ruth's Chris so popular. I hadn't cooked a steak in years and when I make one again, no doubt soon, this is how I'll do it.

After searing the meat on a smoking hot cast iron pan, it went into a 350 degree oven for a couple of minutes. Immediately after I removed it from the oven, I put the butter, garlic, shallots, and thyme in the pan and basted the steak until it reached a medium rare state. That was all there was to it. I think the most daunting part will be to find a dry-aged gigantic rib eye for my next try.


(Kids, this will be on the menu for your next visit)

No comments:

Post a Comment