This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 47 - Pages 166 - 167- Bo Ssäm and Ssäm Sauce

(reminder: you can click on the photos to view enlargements)
It was Wayan's birthday and a good reason to gather some friends around to celebrate with a bo ssäm for 6-8 people.  First: I got a Marin Sun farms pork butt, bone-in, 8 pounds. Covered it with salt and sugar and refrigerated it overnight.




The next day, I was up before sunrise to put it in a 300 degree oven. I went back to sleep for a couple of hours and by the time I got up the aroma was overwhelming the entire house (not necessarily in a bad way but...) so I took it out of the oven and put it in the Weber barbecue.  After 8 hours it was meltingly tender and the meat fell away from the bones without much effort.




While it was cooking there was time to prepare the condiments.  Clockwise, from upper left: Ava's black bean and garlic cucumbers, ssäm sauce (a mixture of ssämjang and kochujang), pickled cantaloupe, ginger scallion sauce, week-old kimchi.




John shucked 50 extra small Tomales Bay oysters.




I was really glad that I was not the only one taking photos and holding up the feast. 



One of the things I like about ssäms, aside from the deliciousness, is that each eater gets to compose their own little version of the dish. This bo ssäm offered lots of choices to put on a lettuce cup.



Everyone dug in without hesitation.



No comments:

Post a Comment