This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Day 42 - Cereal Milk Ice Cream

Thinking about Momofuku Milk Bar's soft serve cereal milk flavors, I found Bill Corbett's recipe for Cereal Milk Ice Cream here. He is now at Coi but previously worked at Michael Mina and before that hopped around and at one time was at Wylie Dufresne's wd-50. Christina Tosi (Momofuku pastry wizard) worked at wd-50 also and so now we have a rough idea of the cereal milk flavor lineage as it relates to the contemporary restaurant world and how I happened to make cereal milk ice cream today.

My version differed a little from Corbett's because I used half the egg yolks. Maybe that is why it seemed less like ice cream and more like a gelato but that is just my on-the-fly observation and not based on any real research into the technical differences between the two. Anyway, it was creamy and smooth with the unmistakable flavor of corn flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment