This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 38 - Page 93 - Roasted Sweet Summer Corn, Miso Butter, Bacon & Roasted Onions

This just in from Gay: NYTimes article re "Haute Stoner Cuisine"
Geez, I guess it did cross my mind...

I haven't posted in quite a while. It's becoming a little more difficult to find a recipe in the book that I haven't already made and that doesn't require a substantial investment in a sous vide machine or the hard-to-come-by transglutaminase (meat glue). But mainly there just hasn't been much time to cook because I've been busy with the garden. This year I planted some things with Momofuku in mind: daikon, snap peas, carrots, and lots of scallions.

The first corn of the season has arrived in the stores and so tonight's menu included Roasted Sweet Corn. First I prepared the Roasted Onions. Sliced onions are cooked in a little oil

for almost an hour at a low heat. They shrink, begin to carmelize, and are done just before they turn mushy.

I think of this dish as creamed corn (one of my all-time favorites) Momofuku style. It's smokey from the bacon and the miso butter gives it the M trademark unctuousness.


Betsy and Janet had dinner at Ssäm Bar in NYC and reported back that it was really yummy. Here is the evidence:

Fried Arctichokes

and Rice Cakes. Thanks for the pictures, Betsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment