This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day 33 - Easter brunch - Page 52-3 - Slow Poached Eggs

Easter brunch was something I'd been thinking about for a while: chicken and waffles. I had never eaten the combination but like to eat both those foods so, why not? According to Wikipedia there are several versions of the origin of this dish including a story about Thomas Jefferson bringing a waffle iron back from France and another about freed slaves cooking it when they migrated to the north in the late 1800's. The hugely popular Roscoe's in L.A. serves it with sides like grits, greens, and cornbread. Apparently, people line up outside the restaurants willing to wait for a meal and security guards are installed inside and out.

For my version of chicken and waffles I added bacon, gravy, and slow poached eggs. I used the recipe for Thomas Keller's fried chicken  that he serves at Ad Hoc and, despite a torrential downpour, Wayan fried it to perfection.


Rummaging through the fridge the next day I found a leftover poached egg and fried it with some foie gras butter (the fat that rises to the top of the meat when you cook a foie gras terrine).

No comments:

Post a Comment