This is a record of my experiences and experiments inspired by
Momofuku, a cookbook by David Chang and Peter Meehan.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day 32 - Foie Gras Torchon - Finally!

Ava, Wayan, and Eddie arrived today, fortuitously timed to coincide with the final presentation of the torchon. It froze to a hardness that was almost too dense to microplane. Lots of shavings ended up outside the bowl and some ended up on my shoes (!) as the cold cylinder kept slipping from my hands. Regardless, it felt great as I piled the lychees, gelee, brittle, and foie gras into the bowls and brought them to the table.



Ava loved it. Wayan wanted bigger shavings so she could taste the liver. John liked it and not just because he eats foie gras any way he can get it. Eddie said it was like a weird dessert that was topped with rich and creamy meat. Yes, it was definitely of another world. The salty shavings and sweet trio underneath were an ethereal blend of taste and texture that kept me wanting more.

The Momofuku recipes that are the most complex aren't necessarily the most delicious. I've literally thrown together in a few minutes a kimchi stew that was amazingly tasty. But if you take the time to make a foie gras torchon the Momofuku Way and trust in your skills and intuition you will most likely end up with something memorable to share with your family. I enjoyed eating this so much that I didn't think for one second how it would compare to the real thing at Ko. Mine was good no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment